Saturday, December 3, 2011

scandal.

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. For He who said, “DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY,” also said, “DO NOT COMMIT MURDER.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.” James 2:10-11

This verse is clear. All of us have sinned and broken God's laws. In fact, we're guilty of breaking it all. Why, then, do we sit and compare ourselves to others? “You know, I've done some bad things, but I'm still not as bad as that guy.” “Yes, I've lied a few times, disobeyed my parents, but I've never stolen anything, so I'm not THAT bad.” Or, my personal favorite, “I haven't murdered or robbed a bank, so that makes me a basically good person. God has to let me into Heaven...right?”

Wrong. We don't go to Heaven because we are “good people.” If this verse in James wasn't clear enough, the Bible also says that even our very best works are filthy rags compared to God. None of us is better than another. The only way to Heaven is by the grace of God, and His grace alone.
Jesus Christ died on the cross because we are have all broken the law. We all have sinned and thus fallen short of His glory, and the wages of those sins is death. Yet His own precious blood was our atonement. Murders, adulterers, liars, thieves.. all of these words describes each one of us.
If you don't know Jesus, I pray that as you read this that these words would ring true in your heart, and that you would be overwhelmed by the love of God and our great need for Him as our Savior. I pray the same for those of you who know Him already.

For myself, I need to have this reminder on my heart: that I am where I am by the grace of God alone. Nothing I have done, nor anything that I will ever do, has brought me here, given me life, or has saved me. I am in no position to compare myself to others, judging their sins as worse or more detrimental than my own. I am a transgressor of the entire law: a murderer, adulterer, liar, and a thief, saved by grace.

For.the.glory.of.my.God. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment