Monday, July 25, 2011

daddy.

“Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and they began gnashing their teeth at him.” Acts 7:54

The mere mention of one's father stirs a variety of emotions. For some of us, it brings back mostly happy memories of learning to play baseball with your dad, or being twirled around in a sparkling dress and tiara because you were daddy's little princess. For others, the word is surrounded by recollections of hurt, abandonment, and a myriad of other painful memories. Our hearts ache at the mention of fathers.
I believe that the hearts of those who stoned Stephen were hurting as well. In Acts 7, he made his defense before the high priest and the surrounding crowd. In verse 51, Stephen told them that they were doing just had their fathers had done before them. Immediately following, Luke recodes that they were “cut to the heart” (vs. 54).
Now I don't think that they were enraged solely because of the mention of their fathers, but I do believe that some emotions were stirred as a result. I say this because in the past, that was the case in my own life. When I would hear someone say, “You're just gonna end up like your parents!” or “You remind me of your dad!” or “You're just like him!” My heart would ache. My fathers are just as “uncircumcised in heart and ears” as those of Stephen's accusers.
So what makes me different now? Why am I not “cut to the heart” any longer? Some say that its because I have a “strong personality” and the courage to overcome the failures of my fathers. However, it is quite the opposite. The knife of their words cannot reopen the scars they once left; not because my flesh is strong, but because my heart is weak. For in my weakness, my God is made strong. He has become my Father. I have given my once-scarred heart to Him and He has made it whole again. Now, when I hear, “you're just like your dad!” I rejoice, knowing that I truly am becoming more like Him. He is transforming me into His image.
As Christians, we are His children, and He is our loving Father. We cry out “Daddy” and rejoice, while He is taking the scars of our hearts and turning them into shining stars.

Romans 8:15-16
For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption by which we cry out, 'Abba! Father!' The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment