Friday, July 29, 2011

gazing.

“But being full of the Holy Spirit, he gazed intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God;” Acts 7:55

For practically everyone in America, hide-and-go-seek was a fundamental element of their childhood. And for most, hiding was the favored part. No one really wanted to be “it” every time, left alone to search out those who were hidden. Especially when the game was played at night and in the dark.
When I was little, I personally hated being the seeker. I was no good at it, and I would walk around aimlessly hoping someone would give up and reveal their hiding place. I had given up intentional searching, because I simply looked in the wrong places. Every single time.
When Stephen was about to be stoned in the presence of his enraged accusers, he looked to God. He “gazed intently” into the place where he knew that his Lord could be found. There, Stephen saw Him in all His glory.
Isn't it relieving that God doesn't dodge us, hiding in the most concealed and tricky places? He says that if we search for Him with all of our hearts, then we will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). He is simply waiting for us to seek Him, and then He draws near to us, arms open wide.
Unlike hide-and-go-seek, we aren't left to wander aimlessly. However, our Lord does command us to search. He wants our hearts to be completely devoted to seeking Him.
Sometimes, I will fail to “gaze intently” as Stephen did, but I will simply give heaven a passing glance out of obligation. But God doesn't want my charity. He wants my unchallenged, devoted love. He deserves it.
I want my heart to be completely given to Him. That can only happen when I take up my cross daily and put to death anything that my heart longs for, other than the One who made me and makes Himself known to me when I search for Him with all of my heart.

Isaiah 55:6
“Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near.”
July 26, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment