Wednesday, November 23, 2011

a beautiful inheritance.

Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?” James 2:5
The poor of this world truly are the rich in faith. These are the words I hear most after someone has gone on their first missions trip. They soon find that those who they would assume to be unhappy because of their physical circumstances, have the most joy because of the state that their spirit is in. They are truly rich in faith. I saw firsthand that this is true the first time that I went to Mexico when I was twelve, and everyday as I'm living here in El Salvador.
My friend Gabe Shippam lives in downtown San Diego, serving the urban poor and homeless. He writes his experiences in ministry and insights in a blog, which he titled: .poor is beautiful. (poorisbeautiful.blogspot.com).  Oh how true this is! The hearts and spirits of the poor are the most pure, lovely, joyful, and beautiful. They truly are the rich in faith.
One night, as I was serving with Gabe at a community meal, he spoke about inheritance. He was referring back to the Old Testament, when the LORD was giving portions to the twelve tribes of Israel. When God spoke to the Levites, He told them that they would have none on earth, for He Himself would be their portion and inheritance. Oh how great that is! In the eyes of the world, this tribe was poor and unfortunate. However, they would be the most rich in faith, for the God of the universe was their portion and the provision for all of their needs.
The same has been true in my life. Proverbs 30:8-9 says, “...Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, 'Who is the LORD?'...” I am so grateful that up until now, God has only dealt with me in this way. By the standards of American culture, I would be considered poor. I always have been. However, I am never left in want. God has always provided what I need, just in time. He alone is my portion and inheritance. Because He has done this, I have great faith that He will continue to provide for me in the future. Even though life would see easier if I had money and provision laid out for me in advance, I am grateful that I do not, because I am becoming more and more rich in faith every time He provides in another way. I wouldn't trade that for any earthly inheritance.
Recently, a lot of new expenses have come up here in El Salvador. I do not know how God will provide the finances, but I do know that He will. Therefore, I will continue to dwell on His past faithfulness, and trust Him with the future.
Lord, thank you for always providing. Continue to give me only what I need, lest I become rich and forget about my precious God. Please increase my faith. You alone are my portion and inheritance, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Psalm 16:5-6 || “The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.” ♥

2 comments: