Tuesday, November 8, 2011

just do it.

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.” James 1:22
This verse reminded of an analogy that a speaker used once at Potter's Field Ranch. They were talking about Americans and diets. They said that some people will get all fired up about losing weight, so they will buy the diet book, a gym membership, workout clothes, make a healthy eating plan, and start drinking more water. Then, because they did all these things, they feel better and healthier. They think that they have already done something and feel good about themselves, even though, in reality, they have done nothing. By the next week, the book is lost, they haven't gone to the gym, their new clothes still have the tags on them, they went to McDonald's twice, and got super-sized shakes instead of water... both times.
The same is true with the Word. We'll go to church to hear it preached, talk about it with others, buy T-Shirts and bumper stickers with verses on them, and even do our devotions in the morning. In so doing, we feel like we have already accomplished something. However, James wrote that we are merely “deceiving ourselves.” We must not only hear the Word, we must act on it.
This is especially applicable to me here in El Salvador, because I simply do not get the Word as often. The sermons are in Spanish, so I only understand about 75% of what is said. Therefore, I need to be more diligent in living out what I am learning through my devotions.
I want to be a doer, and not just merely a hearer. Therefore, I will look for practical applications in my devotional reading. I will also seek out accountability in them, so that I may grow and have my Father mold my heart and life into one that He desires.
Ezekiel 36:26-27
"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you. I will remove your old heart of stone and give you a new heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit in you and move you to follow My decrees and help you to keep my laws."

No comments:

Post a Comment