Wednesday, November 9, 2011

mirror.

For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.” James 1:23-25

In studying this verse, God has shown me a lot. However, the word that strikes me the most in this passage is “perseveres”.
When God reveals something about our character or heart that we need to change, it truly takes perseverance to do it. It is far easier to let it go, forget about it, or put no thought into how to do so. It gets tough and we become weary, because the very thing we are trying to change is contrary to our flesh and hard for us to do.
This past month, my Father has been further shaping my heart and revealing things that He wants to change in me. He has picked me up and placed me in front of the mirror, allowing me to see my natural face. Now it is my responsibility, in His strength, to be a doer and not just a hearer.
I will continue to pray for perseverance and ask for accountability, so that I may not forget what I am like. Instead, I will look into the perfect law of liberty and persevere, so that I may be blessed in all my doing.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment