Monday, November 14, 2011

hot air.

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.” James 1:26
In The Message, Eugene Peterson paraphrased this verse (and the following) in this way:
"Anyone who sets himself up as “religious" by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world."
I do not want my words to contradict my faith, character, or actions. My life should by the primary evidence of my faith, not my words. Therefore, I will seek to be intentional in what I say, and strive to be slow to speak. I will ask my Father to set a guard over my mouth, and keep watch over the door of my lips (Psalm 141:3), so that I do not set my self up as “religious” by “talking a good game”.
I want to be set aflame by His fire, and not my own hot air.
 “He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.” Prov. 13:3
1 John 3:18 “Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment