Tuesday, August 30, 2011

center stage.


and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind,” Ephesians 4:23

Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Our words, actions, and habits form our character and destiny, and it all truly does trace back to our thoughts. What we allow to play in the theater of our minds will dictate the state of our hearts and the outcome of our lives. Romans 12:2 says, “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” If I want to abhor what is evil and cling to what is good, then I still need to take up my cross and put to death my own interests, so that my mind may be set on God's. I want to completely reject the sinful ways of the world and be transformed to walk in His will. Therefore, I need to be renewed in the spirit of my mind.
More often than not, it isn't the obvious sinful thoughts that creep into my mind. It is usually like tares among wheat: thoughts that don't seem harmful, but are taking root and slowly choking out the good and righteous things that I should be dwelling on. I need to recognize these weeds before they take root and grow to affect my actions, habits, and character.
Currently, I am realizing what some of these tares are. I'll find myself thinking about what it would be like if I was still back home. I left San Diego just as a revival was about to burst out in and through Foothills. Bus Ministry and Such As I Have Ministries were fruitful, and I found deep joy in both of them. God was using me tremendously in my friendships, and in my family. I'll catch my thoughts wandering towards these things, wondering if it would have been better for me to stay home.
On the outside, these thoughts do not seem bad or evil. However, discontentment can be found in their roots. I need to trust in the Lord, knowing that He has me here at Potter's Field Ranch, and soon El Salvador, for a reason. I need to be content where I am, knowing that there is no better place that I can be than in His will. Just as God took Philip from a flourishing ministry in Samaria to travel on a desert road, He has taken me here to be His hands and feet. I will rejoice in this, knowing that there will always be chariots for me to overtake, so that I may proclaim Christ where I am (Acts 8:25-40).
Paul wrote to the Corinthians and said, “We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,” (1 Corinthians 10:5). The easiest way to do this is to stop the thought. As soon as it begins to enter the stage of my mind, I need to cut the casting call and not even give it an audition. I can't entertain it for even one second, nor let it entertain me. Instead, it needs to be replaced with something good, righteous, and true. I have found that the best replacement is Scripture. Whenever I begin to think about something that is not of God, I can recite a verse in my mind and dwell on it. Obviously, to do this I need to memorize the Word of God. Therefore, I will apply greater discipline in memorizing Scripture, so that I may use the the Sword of the Spirit to slice open the tares and destroy the roots of deceitful thoughts. Then, I will become more and more renewed in the spirit of my mind.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment