Wednesday, August 10, 2011

sleep.


On the very night when Herod was about to bring him forward, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and guards in front of the door were watching over the prison.” Acts 12:6

“I slept like a baby.” People use this phrase to describe a good night's sleep. When babies do sleep, it's sound and peaceful. A lot of little kids are this way. The have no worries, so they don't have very many sleepless nights.
It would seem as if Peter had this same mindset. He slept, as if he has no worries or fears. However, he was sleeping between tow soldiers, bound in chains, and guarded by more soldiers outside the door. In addition, Herod was seeking to kill him.
Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of Heaven.” (Matthew 18:3). I believe that Peter understood this and lived it out. He had a childlike faith, in which He trusted His heavenly Father to take care of him. He truly had no worries or fears, for to him, like the apostle Paul, to live was Christ and to die was gain. He knew that all things work together for good to those who love God, and he did not consider his present sufferings worthy to be compared to the glory that was to be revealed to him. His sleep was sweet and sound, full of peaceful assurance.
How can we have this same peace and hope in fearful situations and trials? Paul wrote, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:6-7).
I need to constantly remember this, and apply it in my life. When I am worried or fearful, I can sleep soundly, wrapped in the peace of God. This will be especially important to remember on the mission field. Six months in a foreign country being a light for Christ will be a lot harder than I know. When I face trials and hardship, I need to let my requests be made known to God and trust in His peace. My Father knows what I need, and He is always faithful to His children.

Proverbs 3:24-26
“When you lie down, you will not be afraid; When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden fear, Nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence And will keep your foot from being caught.”
August 9, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment