Friday, August 19, 2011

unashamed.


For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He comes in the glory of His father with the holy angels.” Mark 8:38

I was sitting with my friend Paige last night, and she said something that really hit me. She was talking about being here at Potter's Field, and said, “I don't understand why anyone would miss out on something like this. If you have the opportunity to save a life, even if it's your own, I don't know how you could pass that up.”
That statement made me think about this verse. “For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation...” How could anyone be ashamed of the gospel of Christ, when it is life and truth and salvation? How could someone pass up an opportunity to save a life, even if it's their own?
The apostle Paul had the same thought. Romans 1:16 says, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes...” Why be ashamed of something that saves lives? Sin and rejection of the truth may gain acceptance in the world, but when the Son of Man comes in all His glory, it will only end in a greater shame.
I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I want every person to know Jesus and be found in His loving grace when He returns. Therefore, I need not be ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the only saving power. For what can mere man do to me?
A lot of His words seem foolish to those who do not know Him. When I told everyone I was going to move to a little ranch just outside of Olney, Montana to be trained to live in another country, a lot of people were confused. They said I was foolish, wasting my education and time. Even now as I'm announcing that I'm going to live in El Salvador for six months, some are asking “Why?” or telling me that I am foolish to go. There are always going to be those who do not understand what God has called me to or the words that He is speaking into my life. However, I will never be ashamed, for His words are life to me.
I need to continue to pray for greater boldness when I speak, knowing that His words are salvation, love, and life. Speaking quietly or sugarcoating the truth is a form of shame and, when I do so, I show no confidence in the message of my Jesus. Therefore, even when people criticize, mock, or consider me foolish, I will continue to speak boldly and take joy that, in persecution, I am able to partake in a small portion of the sufferings of Christ. For I know that, in Him, I truly have nothing to be ashamed of.
“And now, Lord, take note of their threats, and grant that your bond-servants may speak Your word with all confidence.” (Acts 4:29)

1 Corinthians 1:18
“For the word of the cross if foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.”

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I really appreciate this post, Jaymi. And Paige's quote is incredibly profound.

    We have to remember this when our flesh rises up and demands comfort and ease over living boldly unashamed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so awesome! It's so easy when we are faced with confrontation to let our flesh take over and shrink back. But like you said, His words are life! I love your passion Jaymi!

    ReplyDelete