Wednesday, August 3, 2011

run.

“Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, 'Do you understand what you are reading?'” Acts 8:30

Americans today are professional procrastinators. In the morning, we repeatedly press the snooze button to delay waking up. We wait until the last possible second to accomplish an undesirable task, such as homework or a work project. We watch dust collect on our furniture as we say to ourselves, “Oh, we'll clean it later.”
When we were younger, our parents instructed us to do certain things. When asked to clean our room, take out the trash, or anything else, the common response was, “In a minute!” or “I'll do it later!”
I've heart it said that “delayed obedience is disobedience”. This is just as much true in our responses to our earthly parents as It is when we are instructed by out Father in Heaven. Philip was prompted by the Holy Spirit to go up and join the eunuch's chariot, and he did not hesitate. Verse 30 tells us that Philip ran up to it.
If only the Church today would have his same mindset! Unfortunately, our procrastination in the trivial things has seeped into the eternal. When we know we should invite our neighbor to church, intercede, tithe, ask someone for forgiveness, get involved in ministry, or repent and stop doing something, we hesitate and put it off for later. We make excuses and give a million reasons why now is not a good time.
When we do this, we are essentially telling God that what we “need” to do is more important than what He wants to accomplish through us. We're saying, “Lord, I know that you're all-knowing, all-powerful, and the Creator of the universe, but I have so much to do today. I trust you, and I know that you have never been wrong before, but I just think you're a little off on this one. Maybe later God.” Oh how ridiculous this sounds! Delayed obedience truly is disobedience.
We call Him Lord, but we do not do what He says. We say we love Him, but we hesitate to obey.
When God calls me, I need to be quick to respond. I want to run after His commands and calling as Philip did. I will no longer stand in hesitation and watch the chariots race by. For if I do, I could miss an opportunity to make an eternal difference.

1 Peter 4:1-2
“Therefore, since Christ has suffered death in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Fnaj8QNuk
August 2, 2011

1 comment: