Wednesday, August 17, 2011

surrender.

 “And he summoned the crowd with His disciples, and said to them, 'If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross and follow Me.'” Mark 8:34

No matter how often we dress it in flowers or engrave it in gold to wear around our necks, the cross is plainly an instrument of death. When Jesus told His disciples to take up their cross, it was clearly a call to die. But, die to what?
In the previous verse, Jesus rebuked Peter. He told him, 'you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's.” Immediately following, He commanded the crowd to take up their cross and follow Him. It is no mystery why Jesus made this statement right after Peter's rebuke. The call was, as still is, to crucify our own own interests, so that our minds may be set on God's.
When we put our flesh on the cross, we are truly putting ourselves to death... and dead people have no rights. We renounce our wants, desires, and interests, so that Christ may live in us. This crucifixion is not a one-time act. Everyday, we need to lay down our rights, so that the will of God may be accomplished in us and through us.
Christ learned obedience from the things He suffered (Hebrews 5:8), and it is a joy to do the same. As I take up my cross and follow Him, I grow in discipline. Although it isn't easy, God never gives me more than I can handle. When He Himself was being led to be crucified, Simon of Cyrene took the burden of His cross onto his own back. Now, Jesus does the same for me. When I am too weak in my flesh to bear the full weight of my cross, He makes His strength perfect in me.
His grace is always sufficient. I need to walk in this truth and take up my cross day by day, putting aside my own desires for His name's sake. I will set my mind on God's interests, and not man's.

Galatians 2:20-21
“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I how live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.”

August 15, 2011

1 comment:

  1. What a line: "The call was, as still is, to crucify our own own interests, so that our minds may be set on God's." What a truth, what a challenge! Laying down what we think should happen, cause He is our Lord, meaning Master, right? yet so often we think that we know what's best. oh my! i need to die daily.

    ReplyDelete