Wednesday, August 24, 2011

servanthood.


“Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor.”
Romans 12:10

Yesterday in class, we were discussing the humanity of Christ. How He did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but humbled Himself and became a man. The God that created the universe subjected Himself to His creation. He came as a baby, taking on the most helpless form. The hands that made the stars were pierced and scarred by sinful man. The Lord of lords emptied Himself, took on humanity, and put Himself in their hands. God humbled Himself to the point of death on a cross.
I knew this and had heard it all before. However, in that moment I was so overwhelmed by the love that He has for me. During the short break, I went and sat outside on the deck, and I just began to cry. The God of the entire universe became a man so that He could have a relationship with me? The King of kings became the servant of all so that I might have life? What an amazing scandal of grace! I do not have words enough to express.
This verse, Romans 12:10, brought me back to that today. I again began to think about the precious price that was paid for my life-- and everyone else's. Jesus died so that anyone who would believe in Him and confess Him as Lord could have eternal life. I want everyone to know this amazing, wonderful, and great love that surpasses all words and understanding. How, then, do I make it known?
During the last supper, Jesus said to His disciples, “You call me teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.” (John 13:12-16). I need to humble myself, and serve those around me. I need to be devoted to them in brotherly love, and give preference to them in honor. Then, and only then, will they know that I am His disciple.
I need to remember what Christ did for me on the cross. Once I forget this truth, I have nothing. But, because of what He has done, I am compelled to love those around me as He did-- so that they may know Him as I do
Lord, never let me forget how you humbled yourself to the point of death, even death on a cross. Let that power shine through my life, and let it show as I give preference to those around me in honor. Help me to love others as you have loved me. Thank you for your amazing love. I can never thank you enough.

Philippians 2:3-8
“Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in the appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”

August 23, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment