Wednesday, August 17, 2011

upside-down.


“For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and for the gospel's will save it.” Mark 8:35

“...for woe to me if I do not preach the gospel.” (1 Corinthians 9:16). Paul said this because he truly understood what Jesus was saying in Mark 8:35. Paul gave his life for the gospel, and it wasn't easy. He endured countless hardships and persecution, yet he did it with joy.
“The kingdom of God is an 'upside-down' where cedars are humbled to fuel a fire and thorns exalted to crown a King.” (http://hillsongcollected.com/leadership/consider-trees). The things that seem so grand and beautiful aren't as they appear to be and little, painful things have greater purposes. God takes and uses both. Such is true in our lives. The best lives we can imagine are filthy rags compared the the glory that He brings forth from a surrendered life.
“The heart of a man plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps.” (Proverbs 16:9). We can plan out our lives and lay everything out “perfectly” as we see fit. However, we would be missing out on a life of joyous adventure if we do not let God direct it all. If we seek to save our lives, we will surely lose them. Contrastingly, when we give up our lives for Christ and for the sake of the gospel, it is then that we find them.
I need to continue to consider my best plans, desires, and dreams as rubbish so that I may gain the life that He has for me. However, this is much easier said than done. In my own mind, I have great plans. I love walking them out and making them happen, because they're mine. Yet at the end of the day, the truth is just that – they are MY plans. Until I surrender them completely to God and submit to His will, I cannot expect to accomplish much of anything good or lasting. I don't want my plans anymore, I want His. For woe to me, if I do not preach the gospel.

Isaiah 55:8-9
“'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' declares the LORD.
'For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts higher than your thoughts.'”
August 16, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment