Tuesday, August 30, 2011

honey.


that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit,” Ephesians 4:22

As I was reading this verse, a song by Relient K came on shuffle on my iTunes. The chorus says,

“I'm sorry for the person I became.
I'm sorry that it took so long for me to change.
I'm ready to be sure I never become that way again
'cause who I am hates who I've been.
Who I am hates who I've been.”

The middle line of it stands out to me in accordance with the verse. “...lay aside the old self...” When I accepted Jesus, I became a new creation; the old has passed away, and the new had come (2 Corinthians 5:17). However, I need to say “I'm ready to be sure I never become that way again.” Even though I consider my old self dead in Christ, I need to constantly be on guard that I am not deceived into sin. I need to fully hate and abhor my old self and its practices, and clothe myself in righteousness and holiness of the truth.
Psalm 119:11 says, “I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against You.” I need to continually hide the Word in my heart, so that I may stay away from sin and not return again to my old self. Therefore, I will take greater diligence in memorizing scripture and deeper discipline in studying it. His words are life to me.

Psalm 119:103-106
“How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth! From Your precepts I get understanding; Therefore I hate every false way. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn and I will confirm it, that I will keep your righteous ordinances.”

August 29, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment