Wednesday, August 31, 2011

nuns.


and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.” Ephesians 4:24

A nun doesn't wake up in the morning and say to themselves, “Hmm... I wonder what I should wear today.” They don't even give their clothing a second thought. What they put on is not only a habit, but it is part of who they are. The world recognizes their identity as a nun by what they wear.
Similarly, our identity should be in what we put on. It should be our habit to walk in the likeness of God, in righteousness and holiness of the truth. Our flesh is dead, our old self has been crucified, so that it is no longer we who live, but Christ who lives in us. The world will recognize us as His disciples when we put on this new self.
Last night at chapel, there was a song we sang in worship that says,

“You are perfect, you are holy.
You are faithful, You are true.
I long to live in Your glory.
O Lord, make me more like You.”

Putting on the new self is just that: recognizing that God is perfect, holy, faithful, and true, and, therefore, seeking to be more like Him.
So, what does this look like for me right now, at Potter's Field Ranch? A verse that stood out to me in my devotions this morning was Proverbs 31:25. It says, “Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future.” I need to have a right standing of who I am, which is both a treasured child of God and an unworthy servant of the Most High. As a result, I can be clothed in His strength (knowing that it is only perfected because I am completely weak) and dignity (knowing that I have been adopted and chosen as His child, treasured far above rubies).
In my old self, these truths are not recognized and the result is increasing pride. However, when I put on the new self with this right understanding of who I am in Christ, it results in an ever-growing servant's heart that is modeled after His. As I do this today, I will seek to imitate my Jesus and look for more ways to serve as He did. Whether this is taking greater joy in cleaning in the kitchen, going out of my way to help someone else with their responsibilities, or putting aside my own wants for another’s needs, I will ask the Lord to make me more like Him and ignite in me a deeper servant's heart. Overall, I want my identity to found in the new self that I put on: which is Christ Himself.

1 Peter 5:5
“...and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE.”

1 comment:

  1. Proverbs 31:25 is one of my favorite verses EVER! I also really apreciate that you link the habit that we ought to have with service. I think that shouldn't be overlooked, for real.

    ReplyDelete