Wednesday, September 7, 2011

beads.

Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.” Ephesians 4:28

Last night, all the girls here at the Ranch were taught how to make beaded bracelets. The goal was that after we learned how to make them, we could take the skill to the mission field and teach the girls there, so that they can sell the bracelets and support themselves. It wasn't really difficult, but it was tedious and time consuming. Whenever I would get frustrated and want to give up, the words “She works with willing hands” came to mind. I soon realized it was from Proverbs 31, the chapter about a godly woman of excellence (verse 13). I then became extremely motivated to finish my bracelet.
Ten minutes before 11 pm, which is lights out, I finally finished it – or so I thought. I went to put it around my wrist and it was too short. Since I had no time that night to finish it, I became really frustrated and seriously considered giving up completely. As soon as that thought crossed my mind, I thought about El Salvador. I thought about all of the little girls there, and the soon-to-be-women who had no way to make money. If I gave up on this one bracelet, why would I have the motivation to teach anyone else? What if the opportunity came up to teach someone in El Salvador, and I couldn't do it because I never finished my own?
This morning, I woke up at 6am and finished my bracelet. Then, I read this verse in Ephesians. In order to be equipped to teach women in El Salvador a simple way to support themselves, I had to do “honest work with [my] own hands.” My five hours of diligence and work now has the potential to result in someone else's food and clothing.
Thieves steal because it does not require honest work. However, helping those in need will cost us something. Whether it's hours of beading or hours of beating, putting others first is hardly easy or convenient. Jesus was the ultimate example of this, for He paid the ultimate cost to help us when we were in such great need.
If Jesus did this for me, the least I can do is do this for others. At the Ranch, there is a lot of work to be done with our hands. The things we do here contribute to ministry all over the world. Today, we have servant time, in which the girls will be cleaning for two hours. I will do this with great joy, with the cross in mind. I will also continue to look for opportunities for me to show the love of Christ in practical ways, whether that's here at Potter's Field Ranch, in El Salvador, or back home. Wherever I go, I will let my light shine before men, so they may see my good works and glorify my Father who is in Heaven (Matthew 5:16).

1 Corinthians 15:58
“Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.”

September 6, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment