Saturday, September 17, 2011

glory.

Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded?” Luke 17:9

If a master commanded his slave to do something and they did it, he probably would not praise him, because the slave had simply done what was commanded. The slave also would not expect to be thanked by his master, for he was only doing what he was told to do.
As Christians, we consider ourselves bond-servants and slaves of Jesus Christ. Why, then, do we so often expect thanks for what we do? When we are faithful in ministry, we expect someone to notice and reward us. When we go out of our way to help another person, we too often expect to be praised. When we aren't thanked while serving someone, we become indignant and our joy leaves us.
This should not be.
“For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe to me if I do not preach the gospel.” (1 Corinthians 9:16) Paul wrote this to the Corinthians, because he understood that nothing he does for the Kingdom is of himself. He had no grounds for boasting when he would preach the gospel, for he was under compulsion. There was nothing good or righteous in him that would have led him to do that; the love of Christ simply constrained him.
Similarly, there is nothing in ourselves that would lead us to do anything of worth for the name of the Lord Jesus.
It is not that I have a “good heart” or a strong will to help others, but the fact is that God has reached in and taken my messed up, sinful heart and washed it white with His blood. I am made righteous only by His grace. His love has compelled me. I am constrained by it. I couldn't have done that by myself.
Therefore, when I am praised in ministry, I need to stay in humility and give all the glory to God. When I am not thanked, noticed, or recognized, I need to remember that I am simply doing what I have been commanded, and I have no grounds for boasting, for I am under compulsion.

“I want to take Your Word and shine it all around
But first help me just to live it, Lord.
And when I'm doing well help me to never seek a crown
for my reward is bringing glory to You.”
Romans 6:17-18
But thanks be to God, that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.”

September 15, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment