Wednesday, September 28, 2011

victory.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4

In this season of my life, I've been on the mountaintop- literally. I've been at Potter's Field Ranch in Montana, surrounded by the beauty of my God. I'm so close to Him, filled with joy at the mere mention of His name. He is revealing more of Himself to me daily and has been constantly speaking to my heart.
I only have a few days left here at the Ranch, and this season is coming to a close. I am descending from the mountaintop and entering into a valley of darkness, so that the fire that is burning inside of me may light up the world.
When I walk through this valley, I need to remember that I am not walking through death, but through it's shadow. A shadow always makes something look a lot darker, scarier, and bigger than it actually is. In reality, “Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” (1 Corinthians 15:55) It has no power over me! If my God is for me, can anything stand against me? No, in all these things, we are more than conquerors through him who loved us! (Romans 8:31, 37)
However, I know that it will still be difficult. I have an active enemy who sees me as a threat, so he will do all he can to try to steal, kill, and destroy my life. What then, will be my comfort in these times? Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. A shepherd's rod and staff are tools of discipline and correction. So why would David write that they are his comfort? “For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.” (Hebrews 12:11)
Here at the Ranch, my heavenly Father has corrected and disciplined me. In the moment it was painful and sorrowful, but joy came in the morning, and it has simply served to further shape my character into an image that reflects his own heart. In this reproof of His rod and staff, my wandering heart is greatly comforted.
Don't doubt in the darkness what God has shown you in the light.
As I walk beneath shadows, I will remember the comfort of my Potter's hands, as he has been correcting and disciplining me to make me more like Him. I will continually look to my Savior and take heart, for He has overcome the world. Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ! (1 Corinthians 15:57)

Psalm 18:28-30
“For it is you who light my lamp; the LORD my God lightens my darkness. For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall. This God – his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment