Saturday, September 17, 2011

the least of these.

“Will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink?'” Luke 17:8

            This passage (Luke 17:7-10) speaks of the relationship between a servant and his master. When I came to this verse, I began to think about what it would look like for me, a bond-servant of the Most High God, to prepare supper for my King. I then thought about the parable in Matthew 25, when the Son of Man was separating the sheep and the goats. They questioned when they had seen the Lord in a position of need and had served Him. Jesus then replied, “Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did it to me.” (verse 40).
Win souls. Feed the hungry. Make disciples.
            This is the mission of Potter's Field Ministries. This is why I am here in Montana, at Potter's Field Ranch. This is why I am being sent to El Salvador in October, and I will be living there for six months. There, are precious little hearts that are hopeless, waiting for a Savior. There are tears on soft faces, waiting for a reason to have joy. There are hungry children, waiting for food that will last.
            My heart is to do all things for the glory of my Savior. When I serve the “least of these”, I am truly preparing supper for my King. When I meet those kids in El Salvador and show them love, I am truly loving Christ. For He Himself has said, “Whoever recieves one such child in my name recieves me.” (Matthew 18:5)
            However, I know that this will not be easy. I have an active enemy, who is seeking to destroy all that God is doing in and through my life. The Bible describes him as a “prowling lion, seeking someone to devour.” I will suffer. I will be persecuted. I will be attacked. Because of this, I need to put on the full armor of God, each and every day, so that I may stand firm against the devil. I know that my struggle is not against flesh and blood.
            I need to be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. For when I am hungry and simply want to come in to eat, will I still prepare supper for my Jesus and serve Him while He eats? Will I put the needs of those that I serve above my own, as though I am serving Christ Himself? Yes, Lord, give me strength to do so. When it gets tough, help me to count it all joy that I may share in Your sufferings, that I may grow to know You so intimately in that sweet fellowship. I'd rather be in the fire with You, than outside of it without You; for You are far worthy of my service, my worship, my heart, and all of my life.

Matthew 10:42
“And whoever gives one of these little ones a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.”
           
 [until the whole world hears.]

September 14, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment