Friday, September 23, 2011

umbrellas.

For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing I sent it for.” Isaiah 55:10-11

Often when we preach the word, we want to see immediate change. We want people to alter their ways, renounce sin, take up a ministry, step out in faith, or just respond to the message.
This is also true when we speak the truth in love. We too often expect the person to change right away as we approach them about something, when this is not always the case.
It is by God's might that souls are saved, not by our own power. It is also the Holy Spirit's role to convict, and not ours. Jesus came to earth and was crucified for us; we can never do more than that. It is His kindness that leads hearts to repentance.
It is God who forms clouds and causes the rain to come down on both the righteous and the ungodly. We cannot make it rain, no matter how hard we try. Our role is to simply lead others to lay down their umbrellas. If they continue to seek cover from its downpour, we then continue to pray and seek the Lord to draw them back out into the glowing streets.
God's promise is that His word will not return void. However, we need to lay down our own expectations of what it should accomplish. It is His purposes that it is sent out for, and that is what will be accomplished.
As we dance in the rain, we should be calling out from the streets and taking others by the hand, inviting them to join in the sweet fellowship of our Savior. One day, every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that our Jesus is Lord. Until then, we need to continue to fan the flame of faith in our hearts, so that umbrellas will be burned up in its fire to allow the rain to refresh weary souls.
As I go to El Salvador, I need to keep this in mind. It is not my own might or determination that will save souls, but the kindness of my Savior. I cannot take the job of the Holy Spirit and convict hearts. I need to daily surrender and admit that I am weak, so that His strength may be perfected in me. His word will not return void.

2 Peter 3:9
“The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment