Monday, September 26, 2011

rest.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.” Psalm 23:1-2

Over and over again in the Bible, God commands His people to be still.
When He rained manna from heaven for the Israelites in the desert, God told them to only gather the day's portion and not to gather on the seventh day. However, they were disobedient and did it anyways. God promised that they would be completely provided for, but they simply did not trust Him.
David wrote, “He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.” God makes us rest. Wouldn't we want to do that on our own? This seems strange, but it is because our Father knows that this is a hard thing for us to do. Just as the Isrealites didn't trust God enough to rest, we like to do things on our own. It's tough for us, as humans, to refrain from work for even one day. This is why He commands us to rest. Oh, what a good shepherd we have!
In Scripture, this command almost always comes with a promise. “If you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.” (Proverbs 3:24). “Cease striving, and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46:10). “Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him...” (Psalm 37:7) “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28). “It is in vain that you rise up early and retire late, eating the bread of anxious toil; for He gives to His beloved even in his sleep.” (Psalm 127:2)
The only way we can lie down in peace and be led beside waters of rest, is when we take these promises (as well as the countless others in Scripture) to heart and trust in our God. I believe this is why David began this psalm with the words, “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.” Our anxious strivings and best works are filthy rags compared to what our Savior can do when we abide in Him.
Where God guides, He provides. In this season of my life, I especially need to trust the Lord to provide. He has called me to El Salvador, and I'm going within the next few weeks. However, it is truly a leap of faith, in which I have to trust Him to supply every need as I obediently go. He has promised to, and my Jesus is faithful, so I simply need to rest in Him. Jehovah-Jireh, my provider. He is the strength of my heart and all I need forever.

Philippians 4:19
And my God will supply all your needs, according to his riches and glory in Christ Jesus.”

Psalm 37:3-5
Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust also in Him, and He will do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment