Tuesday, September 20, 2011

compassion.

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.” Isaiah 55:7

“If I have not compassion on my fellow-servant, even as my Lord had pity on me,
then I know nothing of Calvary love.”
Amy Carmichael

My God has shown me grace and compassion in abundance. “For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly... God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:6,8)
Well, this was the start of my Inductive Bible Study entry for today. I was going to write about how we should have a heart of compassion, modeled after Christ's. But, as I was writing this, God gave me an opportunity to live it out.
After I sat down to write this blog, another intern came up and sat beside me. I set aside my laptop and we started talking. I was able to pray with her and encourage her in some things she was going through. Ironically, the conversation ended with us talking about compassion. She said that there was nothing that she loved more than sitting with someone and listening, crying with them and then laughing with them as they grew together. I told her that it was definitely a gift from the Lord, because compassion is defined when we “rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.” (Romans 12:15). When we were done talking, class started, and she apologized and said “Oh, I'm sorry I kept you from writing.” I quickly told her, “This right here is way more important.”
There was nothing I would have rather done this morning than be with my sister in the Lord to listen, encourage, and pray with her. God has placed her so near to my heart and it was an honor to be able to show His compassion to her.
This is a little sliver of Calvary love. However, when I put my own interests above the interests of others, then I have forgotten the precious price that my Savior paid for me on the cross. He is my all in all, far worthy of all that I am. He has shown my heart great compassion, and my sin He has abundantly pardoned. Therefore, I will continue to look for opportunities to develop a deeper heart of compassion. Jesus, make me more like you.

Ephesians 5:1-2
“Therefore, be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us, as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment